Saturday, December 3, 2011

Days 6-11, Jumbled in a Not-So-Orderly Fashion

This was a really cool week. On Wednesday we had a really good practice with the boys.
He tried something different with training this time: we divided the boys into 3 groups of
seven, one group for me, one group for Oscar, and one group for Jon. We basicly had it
separated into stations, Jon was practicing passing, Oscar was practicing with receiving the
ball, and I worked with the boys on ball control. The team that showed up the Saturday
before to the team that showed up this Saturday was a totally different team due to that
practice.

On Tuesday we had guitar practice. Most of the boys were new this year, so we started
teaching them chords. It's interesting, because the chords don't go along the lines of
letters, rather "Do, Re, Mi, Fa, So, La, Ti".

Saturday: Some of the boys' dad's aren't around, like Jose Francisco "Chilo", Joel, and Elam. All
three are brothers. Elam is very smart. He's a smartass too. But he's probably one of my
favorites. He's very active with the ministry. He comes to bible study groups, soccer and
guitar. Chilo lacks much discipline, but I honestly see a very bright future for him. I
really hope I get to meet the man that he becomes. Today at the game he "snuck" (in the
reality of it, he stole a banana from the team) eating a banana. Jon chewed him and the
team out for it, because they need to realize that selfishness has no place. As Jon was
disciplining Chilo, he also asked him to look him in the eyes, but Chilo was joking around
about it and looking away. Jon didn't get on him too much about the eye contact because
Jon saw something I didn't through Chilo's jesting: Chilo obviously felt bad, and knew he
was in the wrong, because he was crying. I have a huge heart to disciple Chilo, but my
Spanish vocabulary is horrible. Please pray that even despite that, that I would
step out of my comfort zone and try anyway. "There is no 'try', just 'do'". Thank you, Yoda.

Marillyn's cooking is amazing. I can't really describe it other than "The most healthy food
I've probably ever eaten consecutively, and some of the most delicious food I've ever eaten
as well."

I'm going to weep like a baby when I come home. I'm going to miss these kids so much. It's
been 11 days and I alrady love them all.

It's so hard (to say goodbye to yesterday... couldn't help myself) to recognize people. I
have trouble with people's faces as  it is, then add on top of that (yes it's stereo-
typical, but) they all seem to look the same!

I may have said this before, but I see a definite need of at least one extra person here to
help out. I'm afraid that God will want me to be one of those people, honestly, because I
1. Don't want to leave my friends and family (I do wonder if that's partly just because I'll
feel guilty leaving all of them), 2. don't want to be dependant on other people to donate
for my existance down here. I hate taking money if I haven't worked for it, 3. I suppose
I'm afraid of the unknown. Yes, I know God will take care of me, I don't need to hear that.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Colin,
    Is this BLOG in English [just kidding :-)]?
    Great, Great BLOG.
    Sounds like God has you just where He wants you. Where we all WANT to be.
    Also sounds like He's got you earning those donations.
    We miss you at the men's Bible study and you are in our prayers.
    God bless you my brother - bill w

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zephaniah 3:17 The LORD your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.

    Thanks for blogging! Keep it up, it is a blessing. May He be pleased tomorrow in your worship.

    ReplyDelete